Sackville Minor Hockey Association Programming is broken down in the following Divisions:
- U6 (aka Learn2Play or L2P) 2017-2018
- U7 (U7-1, U7-2, U7-3) 2016-2017
- U9 (Development, Intermediate, Advancing) 2014-2015
- U11 (Recreation and Competitive) 2012-2013
- U13 (Recreation and Competitive) 2010-2011
- U15 (Recreation and Competitive) 2008-2009
- U18 (Recreation and Competitive) 2005-2007
Ages for each division are set by Hockey Canada.
At the association level, SMHA provides players with additional development opportunities through programming put in place by John Hubley, VP Development (VPDevelopment@FlyersHockey.ca). The extent of the programming depends on the team and division, and includes on-ice skills sessions, power skating, and off-ice / dryland training. John also offers coaching guidance and development opportunities for our volunteer coaches.
U6 and U7
Contact: Rob Nurnber, VP U6 & U7 (VPInitiation@FlyersHockey.ca)
SMHA U6 and U7 programming is designed to introduce 4, 5, and 6 year olds to hockey. [Under Construction]
Which program do I register my child in?
- 2019: Not yet eligible for Hockey Canada programming (Consider Pre-CanSkate or an HRM Parent-And-Tot program)
- 2018: Register for U6
- 2017: Register for U6 or U7
New to Hockey:
Generally, participants who complete U6 are ready for U7, however families are able to repeat U6 if they think it is in their child's best interest. Many players - especially those who continue to play through the minor hockey program - benefit from having two years in U7 before moving into U9.
- 2016: Register for U7
Contact: Craig Foley, VP U9 Division (VPNovice@FlyersHockey.ca)
The Teams at the U9 Division are divided into 3 sub categories: Advancing, Intermediate, and Development. U9 is unique in that none of the teams fall directly under "Competitive" or "Recreation" headings. The sub-categories are tiered, and the U9 Evaluations help to place the players in the tier that will optimize their development.
U11, U13, U15, U18 - Recreation
U11, U13, U15, U18 - Competitive